Monday 28 October 2013

A Thespianhunter Rant - Regarding The Weather, Halloween and Other Totally Pointless Subjects

Hello ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to yet another ThespianHunter Rant. Recently in the UK, there was a a "mighty" storm which swept across my mighty island, claimed the life of (know at the time of writing) 6 people and brought British rail and Air services to a stand still.

See, for those who are maybe not native to Albion, they may not realise that the climate of England, while far from dry and humid, isn't frequented by large or even possibly dangerous events in the weather outside flooding or strong seas. Understandably when the news of "freak storms on the horizon" met the eyes and ears of the British public the typical response occurred. No one did FUCK ALL about it. For these, general public, the storm seemed non-existent and the day after the storm, maybe bar a few leaves being blown in doors, the storm had no effect. This resulted in hoards of people going to their facebook and twitter pages ranting and raving about how the storm was "a great disappointment" and that everyone was "over reacting"  ... Mean while, away from from the majority of the population...



Tree's... everywhere... All over the tracks, all over people's cars, all over peoples houses... Almost every city has seen a tree or crane fall over and damage something. General public response? ... Na... never happened.

Every year I rant about this. It's one of my pet peeves and I use the example every time; Because It's not raining by you, doesn't mean it's not raining down the road. Because It's raining down the road doesn't mean it's raining on the other side of the city. The thing is, people's perspectives, instead of expanding, like you think it would with the power of the internet at their hands, it seems, when it comes to the weather or natural phenomenon, people have such a narrow perspective that they can't even grasp the fact that the world isn't centred around their shitty little city in the south of England.

Now, I totally get it, the media blew this one WAY out of proportion. You'd think they were preparing for the end of days or Tornadoes across the British Country side, we get it... if you didn't realise by now the English news media arn't a bunch of morons by this point you are truly a lost cause. But have some sort of perspective for the bigger picture. Please? Better still, who gives a rats ass if you had leaves come through your window or it seems to be a bright and sunny day where you are. I don't give a shite on a normal day, I sure as hell don't give a crap after a storm.... You know.. WHEN ALL THE BAD WEATHER HAS GONE?!

Rant about the weather [ X ]

Halloween.
Hallows Eve
All Hallows Eve
Hallomas

What ever you call it. This date is important for one, single thing... Consumption of Alcohol with friends.... Also known as, just another day!
Why Halloween is celebrated outside of North America I haven't the faintest idea. Infact, the entire holiday is a complete and utter mystery to me. It's full of false assumptions and classic copycatting of our American cousins from across the pond.
The reality of the situation is thus. "Halloween" has NOTHING to do with spooky stuff. Nothing. Halloween was originally a Gaelic festival of Autumn. There were some bonfires, a little dinner and a sacrifice. Standard Gaelic shenanigans  Then the Church came along and buggered the whole thing up by over looking into the situation and feeling that "everything must have had a purpose" See, for those not familiar with the Gauls and Celtics, everything they did was the hold back evil spirits. So the church made it about keeping evil at bay. Then, when the religious nut jobs fled to America to escape the piss being taken out of them over in Britannia. So they sailed on over and started practising all their crazy rituals. Then churches on both sides started calling them Pagan because they would rather dress in black and do bat shit crazy rituals in the night. The nut jobs quite liked their nickname, maybe because it was cool hit and stylish. And, just as the saying "swag" becoming a phrase of escalation rather than a reference of loot or gifts taken from another hundreds of years later, Halloween became a holiday... like Valentines day, another holiday... which means virtually nothing, and only exists because some twat decided to look into it too much.

However, as social norms dictate, I will be dressing up as a priest of a dark religion for Halloween in order to get intoxicated with my friends. But if I catch anyone trying to actually give the holiday meaning.. they shall be the subject of holy Thespian Wrath.

Halloween [ X ]

Cos Players.

Well, this is a can of worms.

When I start this subject, I of course do not refer to Cos Players who take a lot of time constructing their costumes from scratch or those who wear a costume which, is not only put together themselves, but also holds deep meaning for them... no I don't mean these people... I mean the ones who just by the costume on Ebay and think they're the same thing... I of course am referring to "shit players".

I had the luxury of going to Comic Con in London during the weekend, and used it as a brilliant opportunity to look at art and buy swag <-- Please note the correct use of the word SWAG! However, as with many of these events, there were a large amount of Cos Players. Some being awesome, like a very sexy Snow White Jedi Knight *drawl* and Steam Punk Iron Man to name a few. However 2 types of "shit players" stood out, and over all, lowered my general opinion of all the other Cos Players around at the time (I'm not referring to those with "free hug signs" if you need a sign with "free hug" on it to get attention, then I hope you're stuck by Lightning in the coming days!)
1. Ladies, I love ya, no matter what size or shape, no matter what class or race you hail from, I love ya! But please... Know what size you are! I don't wanna see you vagina because your skirt is so small and you don't quite fit into a large. Take pride of how you look regardless of what you're wearing. If you want to be a female Joker and you're... a larger lady... People don't wear a small skirt... No one want's to see that.
2. Don't be lazy! A shitty Mario PJ set isn't cos play... that's the sort of shit you take to a Halloween party.. not as Cos Play.

Cos Play [ X ]


And Finally... THE COLOUR OF SAINT PATRICK IS BLUE NOT GREEN! I will shout in the face of everyone wearing green from this point onward during Saint Patrick's day. "Showing Green" was a one off occasion...  I will cry when I see a New York Parade, I know it!

This has been this ThespianHunter rant. Sorry for the lack of structure lately... I've started Uni... Uni is busy as hell, and don't expect the next part of the Nomad Until December, I only write that when I've got enough time to make each part what I want it to be... (even though I'm not quite happy with how part 1 turned out... however I feel like I couldn't have done that part any better...)

As a teaser for the next Part of The Nomad;... This word... Isn't quite as it seems. The characters Arn't quite what they seem... and pretty much everything... isn't quite what it seems....


My name's been ThespianHunter... Hallowed Be Thy Name... And I'll catch you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment