Tuesday 1 October 2013

A ThespianHunter Rant - Regarding The Deadly Tank of Neptuna

This rant requires that you listen to this track from Croc - Legend of The Gobbos's Soundtrack (it's only 1 Minuite long)

Furthermore: Sorry I've not been posting much on the blog.. I've just started University!            Let me off :D

Hello ladies and gentlemen and welcome to another ThespianHunter rant, where I basically talk about something that ticks me off, or something that I want to talk about. Today's rant regards a song from a soundtrack... Now I know that I've been some what rather focused on the whole Video Game music front. Those who have been reading the blog since it's inception will know that Video Game music is something I rate highly (it can be the turning point from a good game to an awesome game) It's an accentual part of a video game. (for me)

I recently went on a HUUUUGGGGEEEEEEE nostalgia trip and played a game on the PS1 that I hadn't played since I was 7 (that's 13 years ago) That game was Croc LEG-END of the Gobbos (which I will most definitely do a Belated review of once I've cleared my packed back log of the things) This game is a odd ball to say the least. I'm actually these days not a fan of it. However when I was a child I LOVED it. I got very scared when in the secret areas, cause I thought the game's bady would jump out from behind me because I was in an area I wasn't supposed to be in. ANYWAY!

One of the game's redeeming factors in the game is it's soundtrack. It's REALLY good... not top 10 good, but still pretty dam good! However there's one little fact that annoys me beyond belief itself. Something that drives me insane! There's this one track called The Deadly Tank of Neptuna. It's featured in ONE point in the game. It's not a theme for the entire level, it's not a boss theme. It's literally a song that plays during a SINGLE underwater segment just before a boss fight. It has a SINGLE minute of play time before going on a loop and you only need about 40 seconds to get through the area which this song features, then you never hear it again.

The most painful thing is... I love this track SO GOD DAM MUCH. It's arguably the best track in the entire game. It's also... interrogating. I remember that as a kid I was PETRIFIED of what the boss would end up being. During this mini segment there are a series of electric gates which you must bypass by passing through them while they turn off. If you got hit, the main character who yelp.. In almost every other section of the game it doesn't carry very far... in this section.. it echoes. There is genuinely something chilling about this track. And then you never hear it again, or anything that sounds vaguely like it.

Why... Why would you do that? I don't really want to hear this song for every under water segment, that would get old rather quick. But variations of it ? Fuck, yes! It's an immense track. it has that chilling scale throughout the piece which is then accompanied by a tune that features maybe in one other song? (I couldn't really place it, but there's something oddly catchy about it, maybe it's because Child me liked it so much) Then, in the 23rd bar it subtly changes the tune, The crashes come through the music echoes and the music carries. You liturally feel like you're in an echo-y underwater tunnel (which doesn't make much sense)

The song is just so chilling... and I have not a single idea why they didn't use the track more, or did a variation on it like they did with other tracks. 

There's the mini rant. I will get onto making the next belated review, I've just had to get a LOT of reading done lately, so hadn't had much time.

Thank you so much for reading, leave your comments bellow on what you think of the track. And I'll catch you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment