Wednesday 11 September 2013

ThespianHunter's Top 10 Video Game Soundtracks

Hello ladies and gentlemen and welcome to another post in the ThespianHunter blog. It's been a while hasn't it? Well, I've been working on a bunch of stuff lately and haven't quite had the time to write up a post. The Dark Messiah review IS coming, so don't worry about that. To tide you over until tomorrow here's a little list I've been pondering for some time. My favourite Video Game Soundtracks.

Now, here's some little pointers. 1. I'm, by no means, a musician, I can play a didgeridoo and sing a little. But that's it. So I'm not an expert on these things! What I am is a video gamer who likes music and especially soundtracks. 2. As always, this sorta thing is MY subjective opinion. These arn't necessarily objectively the best, just my favourites. and finally 3. I'm ONLY going to list FULL soundtracks and not individual songs from each soundtrack.

With the last point in mind. Here's some honourable mentions to games that miss out on being on this list due to the rest of the soundtrack not making it on the list.

Castlevania - Bloody Tears. If you haven't listened to it... do it... now. Open a tab and go listen to it right now... I'll wait for you... seriously it's amazing!

Street Fighter - Guile's Theme. Ironically it doesn't go with this with this list. But it does go with everything!

Dragon Age Origins - Main Theme. God dam it, it makes me want to ride into battle on the back of a Dragon. But alas other than one other track from this soundtrack... The rest of it just misses out on the number 10 spot. Sorry :(

So with all that out of the way, let's get onto the list... Without further ado...










Number 10.

Heroes Of Might and Magic V

Sometimes it most tried and tested methods succeed. Epic Orchestral themes with Latin opera singing. This would have just missed out on the list (and in fact in the first draft it actually did.) but the more and more I think about it... this game's soundtrack is just epic! The entire game SHOULD/and does portray a greater sense of large scale war. You realise that you're commanding the fates of hundreds even thousands and that undertaking requires a soundtrack to match. Heroes Of Might and Magic 5's soundtrack does that and some. The best soundtracks being from inside the different cities that the player can control. Added with the fact you can have a dynamic and almost cinematic view of the city with the music as accompaniment just makes you appreciate that it's there.


Number 9.


Yeah... So this soundtrack is one of the geekiest, yet funniest soundtracks ever. As with all sonic soundtracks, the fast pace and the pure fun breathed into each track is a joy to listen to. Sonic Adventure's soundtrack is on another level!! Any person who doesn't sing along to it at least once is a fool and should be treated as such! (just kidding) There are also some funny tracks in there that I urge you to listen to..  just expect to feel like a little kid at the end of the soundtrack.






Number 8.

The Elder Scrolls

Technically Cheating due to the fact that this refers to 3 game's worth of Soundtracks. But I can't have one of them on the list without the others. I'm conflicted with the Elder Scrolls soundtrack. I really like it, like really like it, so much so I put it at number 8 on this list. But... I actually prefer to listen to the soundtrack... without the game. Which is, I'll assure you, a good thing that I would listen to a soundtrack when I'm not even playing the game and Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim have very engaging worlds which the music accompanies to make all the more potent. I just think that the soundtracks are just good as of them selves. The reason this isn't higher on this list is because, well... As a soundtrack these would be in the top 3. As a VIDEO GAME soundtrack... it places here. I just don't think they go far enough in accompanying situations in the game. When orchestral, power music kicks in when you're fighting a crab it doesn't really bode well for them game. But as I said, as just a soundtrack, this is fantastic.




Number 7.



Fable

Yeah... Bet that surprised you!
Why so low down the list? Well, The other soundtracks in the list are just so much better. Which should, if anything, excite you for the rest of this list. Go and listen to the Fable soundtrack, all of it. Better still, go play Fable (or wait until the HD remake) and play it with some headphones on. Every track fits with it's setting, the character it surrounds and the situation. It makes the world and everything else stand out and drag you in. You'll find yourself standing still to take it all in. if they mess with even a single track in this soundtrack I'm going to be pissed. (they can add new tracks, sure, but don't mess with something that isn't broken.)


Number 6.



Legend of Zelda

Yeah... so this is an even bigger cheat than The Elder Scrolls. But here me out. I'm not even a big fan of Zelda. I've played a bunch of Zelda games, sure, but I've never been a fan of the series. However what I am a fan of is the music. For me, makes the game more enjoyable. I wouldn't have played Zelda if I hadn't had heard my uncle playing it from down stairs, wondering up into his room being lured in by the fantastic music. When a soundtrack can turn a game from "meh" to "Really Good" You know it's done well. It's emotional, gripping and well... just... great. I want to be a little more objective .. but ... I just can't.. I just REALLY like this soundtrack.


Number 5.


Mass Effect

Sure the ending sucks. We get it. Sure, it left a sour taste in a lot of gamers mouths. Sure, WE GET IT. But don't you dare take it out on the rest of the game. And especially it's soundtrack.
For this list I sat down and listened to it all. Every single track. Then something accorded to me (maybe because of all the times I had played the dam series, maybe because I just have a good music memory) But I could recall, every single scene from the soundtrack (not word for word obviously) and as I did so, all those emotions and memories came back. All the fun I had with all the game, every surprising little turn, all the suspense all the wonder... all of it. Sure, some of the tracks kinda sound like they've been auto-tuned and the general theme changes from game to game (even this is kinda a good point considering so does the entire dam feel of the games) but as a Sci-Fi soundtrack, this one is ace! This is defnetly the dark horse of the list. But I beg you, please, Just sit down, and put at least Mass Effect 2's soundtrack on.. and just listen to it. It wouldn't feel misplaced in a move and that, for me... is a dam good thing.


Number 4.



Persona

Never listened to this soundtrack? Go play the game and listen to it now. You back? Sweet! Persona is on oddball and kinda hit and miss at times. But when it's god, holy shit! Is it good! For me, this soundtrack set's the bar for RPG's. I like it that much. It's just fantastic and seemingly endless! But as I said, a little hit and miss here and there but you'll wont regret your time with it!


So... here's the top 3. These will take a while. So what I want you to do, is I want you to listen to each soundtrack in this top 3. To understand what these soundtracks are like, you must experience them in their setting. Go and spend hours upon hours completing these games and listen to the music! You won't regret it!


Number 3.


Final Fantasy 6.

The greatest RPG soundtrack of all time! Without question. Even with the limitations of the system it was on, this soundtrack blows me away every time. You must have gathered that a Final Fantasy Game would be up here, after all FF7 seems to be in every one's Top music list all the time! But nay, they over look the fantastic Final Fantasy 6 soundtrack! The fools (I kid) Lasting for over 3 hours long. This soundtrack is phenomenal. This game's soundtrack presents everything a soundtrack should have, a musical accompaniment that assists the telling of the story and in a game where no one makes a sound the music becomes the character's voices and that is just something... magical, for lack of a better term.


Number 2.



Journey.

I've tried summing up this soundtrack in a way that sounds somewhat objective. I can't. I can only say this;

Go play Journey. Then you'll understand!

My mere mortal words can't even start to do this music justice. Just go play the game!




Number 1.

Shadow of the Colossus


Shadow of the Colossus.

When I do the Belated Review of Shadow of the Colossus It will be the last review I'll ever do. This game isn't a game... it's a piece of art and a master piece at that. The fact that this game didn't make it into my Top 10 List of Favorited games of all time is due to the single reason. Shadow of the Colossus isn't a game you compare to others to do so is to miss the entire point. It would be trying to re-enact a piece of dance by talking it out. This game is like trying to sing a song by painting it. I true work of art.

It's up the top for similar reasons that Journey is just behind it.  The game's music tells you everything you need to know, the music, is the games blood, circulating at all times to keep the game alive. There's you, your horse, the open world, the Colossi and the music... and that's it!

Go play the game if you haven't already. It's simply a phenomenal soundtrack and the best dam one in my opinion.



Well, that's been my Top 10 Video Game Sound Tracks. That you for reading, feel free to leave your favourite video game soundtracks bellow. Until next time, My name's been ThespianHunter, I am the music and this is my song... and I'll catch you next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment